Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Death by chocolate

In my rodent war I have moved the family house to DEFCON 2.

For the last five nights The Brain has been messing with my mind. Each morning we have found mouse droppings in one of two places. Each time I have placed the electro-shock trap in one of these places, the next morning the droppings have been at the other one. If it was down to random luck, I should have 97% expectation for him to have wandered past the trap one of those nights. Clearly he thinks he can dance around death with impunity.

He is wrong.

This afternoon, Il Capo drove out to Home Depot and returned with a bag full of mouse traps - traditional, snappy style - and a bar of Hershey's chocolate.

As I write this, there are six spring-loaded, chocolate-baited traps secreted in various cupboards where mouse activity...

Hold on, I just heard a noise from the kitchen...

Well that was fast, I only finished laying the traps 15 minutes ago and I already have a victim. I remember why I bought the electric trap now. An electrocuted animal is much easier to deal with than one that is bleeding, breathing and squeals when you pick it up. I put it out of its misery with a brick.

I've left the other five traps and reset the one that was triggered, though the blood-stains on the chocolate may put any other mice off.

No comments:

Post a Comment